How do I become a Substitute with Nixon-Smiley CISD?
Nixon-Smiley C.I.S.D. has an outstanding school district where children come first. The school district has a middle and high school located in Nixon with the elementary school in Smiley. Our teachers and administrators are dedicated professionals who are committed to providing students the best possible education.
To qualify as a substitute in the Nixon-Smiley Consolidated Independent School District, you must have education equivalent to completion of high school and complete the formal substitute teaching preparation course. The dates and times for future courses are listed on the next page. Substitute certification (or recertification) is required each school year before the substitute is allowed to return to the classroom.
Pay: The daily rate for classroom substitutes is $75 per day. The half day rate for classroom substitutes is $37.50 per half day. Certified teachers assigned as "long term subs" are paid a higher rate. Details available during substitute orientation.
To apply: Please follow the steps listed below.
- Complete the on-line Substitute Application (the “job opportunities” link may be found at: nixonsmiley.net).
- Provide a certified copy of your HS diploma or GED certificate. If requested, college transcripts must also be certified copies.
- Provide two forms of Identification (i.e. Driver's License, Social Security Card, Passport or other Federal or State issued Documents.)
- Print, complete, sign and return in person or via fax or mail, the DPS Computerized Criminal History (CCH) Verification Form (See "Employee Quick Forms" on this web site at: Administration>Human Resources>Employee Quick Forms) to: N-S CISD Human Resources Dept. P.O. Box 400, Nixon TX 78140.
- If necessary, submit to an F.B.I. photo identified, electronic fingerprint procedure.
- Complete all pre-employment forms such as: I-9, W-4 and other required forms as provided by the human resources department.
- Complete sexual harassment class instruction (Provided by
N-S CISD staff prior to employment).
Sections 1-4 of these steps must be completed prior to your participation in a scheduled substitute teaching preparation course.
Please direct questions or concerns to Israel Jimenez in the human resources department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Substitute Teacher Preparation
Nixon-Smiley C.I.S.D. will hold the following Substitute Teacher Preparation classes:
|August 15, 2016 at MS/HS Library||9 AM|
|September 15, 2016 at "La Casita"||9 AM|
|October 20, 2016 at "La Casita"||9 AM|
|January 19, 2017 at "La Casita"||9 AM|
Please routinely check this page for added dates.
Presenter: Linda Parks; Director of Special Programs
Interested applicants must attend one of the above listed courses. Substitutes must be certified each new school year.
Please bring two forms of identification and a copy of your H.S. diploma or college transcript.
Additional dates are added as needed.