Board Policy GBA (Legal) states:

  • “Public information” means information that is collected, assembled, or maintained under a law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by the Board or for the Board and to which the Board has a right of access. Gov’t Code 552.002(a)

All requests for information are handled in writing. You may submit your request by:

  • E-mail at: pia@nixonsmiley.net
  • Fax: 830-582-3596
  • Mail or in person: Open Records Request, HR Dept., PO Box 400, Nixon, Texas 78140
  • E-mail:  Open Records Request


“Directory information” means information contained in an education record of a student that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Directory information includes, but is not limited to, the student’s name, address, telephone listing, electronic mail address, photograph, date and place of birth, dates of attendance, grade level, enrollment status, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, honors and awards received, and the most recent educational agency or institution attended.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

Complete FERPA Guide

Charges For Public Information

The following is a partial summary of the charges for copies of public information as adopted by the General Services Commission.

  • Standard paper copy–$.10 per page
  • Diskette–$1.00 each;
  • VHS video cassette–$2.50 each;
  • Audio cassette–$1.00 each;
  • Over-sized Paper copy–$.50 each;
  • Other–Actual cost
  • Labor charge: For programming–$28.50 per hour;
  • For locating, compiling, and reproducing–$15 per hour
  • Overhead charge–20% of labor charge
  • Miscellaneous supplies–Actual cost
  • Postage and shipping charge–Actual cost

For the complete list go to: Texas Administrative Code,Chapter 70.3